Grandparents’ Rights
Grandparents’ Rights
Custody: If you are caring for your grandchildren, but need paperwork showing they are with you, we can help. Without legal custody in place, either parent can take the child from you at any time and schools or medical providers may not allow you to make decisions for the child.
Adoption: If you have been raising your grandchildren for years and wish to adopt them, we would be honored to assist. Adoption terminates the biological parents’ rights to the child and may make the child eligible for social security or other benefits under your name.

Child Support: If you have been caring for your grandchildren, you are entitled to financial support from both parents. Contact us to get a child support order in place for the child.

Visitation: If you are having trouble getting visits with your grandchildren, we may be able to help. Under some circumstances, the Court may put a visitation schedule in place.



Contact the Law Office of Anne Shevlin to discuss the details of your particular situation.  You may be able to file for custody (managing conservatorship) or to adopt your grandchild.

The Court will always look to what is in the best interest of the children.  If the child’s parents are not able to care for them or prefer that you raise the children, the Judge will consider that information.  The Court will also consider factors like family violence, drug use, criminal history and child protective services (CPS) history.

If both parents agree that the children should be with you, your case is uncontested.  That means we can work out details like visitation schedules and child support without a full-blown hearing.  This keeps your legal fees down and allows us to resolve your case more quickly.

The law requires that all parties to a lawsuit be given notice before a decision can be made.  Try searching the internet for information about the child’s parents.  Sometimes there are clues on social media.  You can also try contacting friends and other family members to see if they know how to reach the child’s parents.  If the parents’ still cannot be located, there are other ways to serve them, but they are costly and time-consuming.

Yes!  The court can order both parents to provide financial support for their children.  Child support is based on the parent’s income and can be withheld directly from their paycheck.